The efficiency of solar panels in the rainy season is good to know information, especially if you are living in an area where there is a wet season. For those who are thinking of investing in a solar panel, it is important to know how it will work in all weather conditions. The output generated on the solar panel is directly affected by the season. It is said that the efficiency of solar panels is most efficient around noon time when the sun is at its brightest.
The question is, how will solar panels work in the rainy season? There is a misconception that solar panels are not operational during the rainy or winter season. The truth is, solar panels can work in any weather condition, not only during sunny days. There is research conducted in places where there is rainfall all throughout the year like in Germany and Alaska.
Based on the research, solar panels installed in those countries were successful. It is said that Alaska produces about 25 gigawatts of energy, which is considered as half of the supply of the world. So, it means that solar panels have ways on how it can generate energy in the most unfavorable weather conditions.
The solar panels in the rainy season affect the productivity of solar panels. It decreases the overall production of energy by 10%-25%. If it rains, it is given that it is also cloudy. When the cloud coverage is so thick, the efficiency of the solar panel is decreasing because the clouds block the sunlight. When it is a sunny day, there will be more energy absorbed, because the sky is clear and the sunlight is directed to the panels.
How to Get Energy from Solar Panels in the Rainy Season?
There are two ways by which solar panels can still absorb energy that is through invisible light and infrared light or through diffused and reflected light. In invisible light or infrared light, even if it is the rainy season, the solar panel can still absorb energy through infrared light and invisible light. This is because of its longer wavelengths. The solar panel’s photovoltaic system makes it possible to produce electricity even though the reflected light is less intense.
For diffused and reflected light, the solar panel can still absorb energy even if it is a cloudy or rainy day through the diffused light. The solar panel that bounces off tall buildings and the ground. The solar panel can also reflect light-colored or shiny surfaces like bodies of water and the snow. Rain plays an important role in cleaning your solar panels. No need to manually clean the panels to ensure that it is free from dirt if it rains. If your solar panel is free from any debris, it can operate and work efficiently.
The use of solar batteries is another option wherein you can still utilize power from the solar panel. If you have a solar panel, having solar batteries is optional, but is good to have. When you have solar batteries, it can store energy produced by the solar panel for later use. The energy that can be stored depending on the capacity of the batteries. The higher capacity, the more solar energy it can store.
Facts about the Efficiency of Solar Panels
- Solar panels still work in bad weather. Even though it is not a sunny day, the solar panel can still absorb energy. This is because the one being absorbed is the light not the heat from the sun. This is the reason why solar panels can still absorb energy even if the weather is cold.
- Solar panels can be installed in any direction.Solar panels don’t need to be installed in direct sunlight. It is the photons from the natural daylight are the one being converted into electricity. As long as there is still exposure to sunlight, its capacity to store energy is not compromised. Solar panels can even work in shaded areas, especially if it is a cloudy day.
- Solar panels don’t absorb energy under the moonlight.The reason why solar panels don’t absorb energy at nighttime is that the moon doesn’t generate its own light. The moonlight is just a reflection of the sun’s light energy. Moon doesn’t have photons that cannot charge solar panels.
- Solar panels need to be cleaned. Occasional rains are helping to clean the surface of your solar panels. Rain removes dust, smog, dirt, and sand. Its efficiency is maximized if there is no barrier between the panel and the sunlight. There is a tendency that the panels will be damaged easily if it is constantly covered in dirt. The solar panel in the rainy season is cleaned so when the season changes, it can further boost the energy absorption.
- The best temperature for solar panels is cold temperature.There is a notion that heat is the one being absorbed. In reality, solar panels work efficiently in cold temperatures. There will be more voltage produced that leads to more electricity if the weather not too hot.
Solar panels are created in such a way that it can still perform in different environments. The solar panels in the rainy season still work efficiently because of its flexibility. If you want to invest in a solar panel, the changing weather conditions would no longer bother you. To maximize the use of your solar panel during the rainy season, invest in solar batteries so you would still have enough back-up energy.